Armed robbery at Chilcotts creek.

This was published in

The Maitland Mercury.


26th December 1863.

Link."willow tree" inn tollbar&searchLimits=l-australian=y



The Heralds correspondent gives this following account of the late robbery of the Northern mail. On Sunday, about six miles from Murrurundi, at Chilcotts Creek, two miles from the Willow Tree, two armed bushrangers stuck up Mr. Patrick Quinn, who was driving his buggy towards his station on the Namoi. He was made to go into the bush and unharness his horses and hobble them. He was then searched, and his money, £3 5s, taken from him, a cheque for £8 17s 6d, as well as his watch and chain and 25s. He was their prisoner about five hours, and everybody who passed were all served the same, sixteen persons.  One of the men said he knew Mr. Quinn well, that be had often been to his house, and would eat his Christmas dinner with him. Mr. Quinn asked him if he was not ashamed of the life he was leading. He replied he wanted money, and if they got any out of the mail they were waiting for he should have his all back, for they would go with him to the " Willow Tree" (a public-house near), and treat him. From one person they took £19, another £6. When the mail was in sight they mounted their horses, one being armed with a double-barrelled gun, the other with two small pocket pistols. They made the mail driver turn down the creek. There were four male passengers in the mail. They cut open the bags, and took all the letters in two bags, each strapping the bag on their horses. The registered letters were in a brown paper parcel, and this they did not touch, so they were saved,  also a bag of gold in the boot they overlooked. While searching the mail, a buggy driven by Mr. Henry Single and his sister came up, but Miss Rowe beginning to cry, they returned a cheque Rowe had given them, and told him to drive on. One of the persons who was stuck up by some means caused his horse to jump on one side, upon which one of the ruffians shot the horse with a pistol in the hip, at which his companion was much pleased. When they had well packed the bags they started off through the bush, and in about four hours afterwards the police were informed of what had occurred, and set out for the scene of the robbery, but have not yet returned.

Write a new comment: (Click here)
Characters left: 160
DONE Sending...
See all comments

| Reply

Latest comments

25.09 | 09:36

Absolutely delighted to come across a part of my direct ancestors history about which I knew very little and shall endeavour to find out more
Thank you Prof. A.

23.09 | 22:23

Very interesting Kelaher family history. Impressive number of trained nursing sisters. Jack lent the Copelands a cream horse, Playboy, in 1950's, ridden by Kate

09.09 | 17:58

Wonderfully informative. Thank goodness for Jane and John Atchison's work

06.09 | 14:33

I am Jack Kelaher and I am proud of my pop, dad and ancestors.

You liked this page