Trevor Green.

Interviewed by Geoff Barwick.

To keep the Willow Tree bowling club going, it means people have to do voluntary work there. If everyone who worked there got paid, the club would have been closed years ago. I work behind the bar there once or twice a month on a weekend. It's not bad fun if there are interesting people there to talk to. I've got to know Trevor Green and Bernie Howard very well in those years behind the bar. Trevor drinks old and Bernie drinks new, and we always spend hours talking about the old days especially around the local area. So I decided they were both worthy of an interview.

One of the old dairy cow stalls. There was space for 7 cows.

Trevor Green is 82 years old. He was born at Quirindi, at Florence Cottage maternity hospital.


Trevor's father was Tom Green. Tom worked at Big Jacks creek for Bill Symonds in their dairy. Later, it became the first dairy in the 1912 subdivision to have milking machines.

The old dairy is still standing today beside Big Jacks creek. It is now on land owned by Peter Doyle and family. The left part housed the engines and gear to run the milking machines, and the right part of the shed was the 7 milking stalls.

The old dairy.

Trevor remembers a telephone exchange on the farm. According to the book, the '1912 Warrah subdivision', the first telephone exchange at Jacks creek was operated at 'Burnslea' by Molly Murphy between 1923 and 1927. It then moved to 'Ellersley Park' and was operated by Mrs Jim Symonds. It then moved to the Doyle's property. Trevor also remembers milking cows when very young.

Trevor's family then moved to Taree briefly, to Kundletown, where Tom once again worked in a dairy, but they soon moved back to the Willow Tree area. Trevor's father Tom then worked for a while for the Bill Widdis family at Boondari.

Quirindi Herald, 1922.

In the late 30's they moved into Willow Tree, where Tom Green helped build the power line between Willow Tree and Quirindi. Also worked on the shire, and did mail runs out past Jacks Creek, Millers Creek and further.

Trevor attended Willow Tree public school, and left before high school to start work.

In 1949, Trevor moved to south west Queensland, to Tallwood, where he worked on the property 'Hollymount'. He spent 3 years there doing general farm work. He then moved back to Willow Tree where he has spent the rest of his life.

Unloading bagged wheat into the elevator at Willow Tree silo.

Trevor worked for a few years at the Willow Tree silo, when it was just west of the pub, right beside the railway line. Wheat was delivered in bags, and then tipped out of the bags and using a belt drive bucket conveyor, the bulk grain was delivered into a bulkhead inside a shed. He also worked for Regie Sevil, carting logs for the sawmill that was also beside the railway line in Willow Tree. They got pine logs from 'Windy Station', and stringybark from Temi'.

Trevor than started work at the Great Northern garage in Willow Tree, for Owen Thomas, until Owen died in 1985. He then worked for a short time for the Sandersons, who then took over the business. Trevor worked there for 32 years in total. Trevor also drove the school bus run for the Howards for 13 years until 2005, when Trevor retired at the age of 75.

Trevor's wife Celia died on the 8th October, 2007, and Trevor says he now only takes orders from his dog. Trevor has a son Richard.

Trevor Green at the Warrah centenary, helping Tim Young cook a few dampers.

Write a new comment: (Click here)
Characters left: 160
DONE Sending...

Lois Collins (Nee Green) | Reply 01.10.2019 18:39

Trevor was my first cousin. I often stayed next door at Uncle Tom & Aunty Ede's when I was young. I loved Trevor and Celia's rosella caged under their tank.

John Maunder | Reply 20.09.2017 08:49

In recognition of his many years as a member of the Quirindi Rescue squard, Trevour was made a life member of the Squad in 2012.

Robin Miller (Buckmaster) | Reply 27.05.2017 14:30

Uncle Trevor died on the 16 December 2016. His wake was the last thing held at the Willow Tree Bowling Club, before burning down on 03/01/2017. Sadly Missed.

Helen Copeland | Reply 31.12.2013 16:41

Interesting story..I mainly remember Trevor when he worked for Owen Thomas, in the 50's and 60's, and attended to Warrah vehicles when necessary.

See all comments

| Reply

Latest comments

25.09 | 09:36

Absolutely delighted to come across a part of my direct ancestors history about which I knew very little and shall endeavour to find out more
Thank you Prof. A.

23.09 | 22:23

Very interesting Kelaher family history. Impressive number of trained nursing sisters. Jack lent the Copelands a cream horse, Playboy, in 1950's, ridden by Kate

09.09 | 17:58

Wonderfully informative. Thank goodness for Jane and John Atchison's work

06.09 | 14:33

I am Jack Kelaher and I am proud of my pop, dad and ancestors.

You liked this page